Re: x220 notes

From: matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:28:57 -0700
On 04/02/12 18:42, Любомир Григоров wrote:
> Interesting. So brightness value "is" changed, but not acted upon then
> when using the hotkeys?

Yes, value changes with no effect when hotkeys are pressed...I am not
sure why there is no effect.

> I could care less about suspend/resume as I don't really use it.
>  Brightness and the fan (thanks for reminding me about the corruption)
> are what is killing my use. I have a SSD so even though boot isn't
> 5sec on FreeBSD, I can still live with waiting 10 extra seconds.
> Having brightness eat up my battery time and fan spinning like crazy
> is a problem, though.

The fan is horribly noisy on this model. However, it will quiet down a
bit on its own when temperature goes down...enabling C states and
running "powerd -a adaptive -b adaptive" should help a lot...I don't
recommend manual fan control as at least my i7 already runs way too hot
in linux and win7 (for the 10 minutes I had it :) ). Run Lenovo bios
updates as well, many complaints about post tsunami fans from Lenovo
China instead of Lenovo Japan...

> What do you mean by the fan controls still work in manual and
> automatic? Does that mean every time brightness is changed, fan speed
> needs to be set to auto again for it to work properly?
Only the fan speed value shows as 0xFFFF or something, however it can
still be set 1-7 or back to automatic as usual

> Also, I assume the dimming from inactivity will not work until EC is
> responsible for brightness change?

I'm not sure...that might be accomplished with dpms.ko, haven't tried....

> ... and then I have the issue with Konstantin's latest patch for
> STABLE where after I exit X, I have no monitor or keyboard control. I
> guess I can bypass this with a login manager.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
On Konstantin's page he mentions this...it's a known issue

Matt