Re: contrib/jemalloc

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 20:52:44 +0300
On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:56:45PM -0700, Jason Evans wrote:
> I have the current version of jemalloc integrated into libc as contrib/jemalloc:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/patches/jemalloc_20120404b.patch

> * Are the symbol versioning specifications right, and are the
> compatibility symbols for _malloc_options and _malloc_message workable?
Why do you manually added __sys_compat() for the symbols ?
My reading of the patch shows that you do not change the ABI,
and symbols are still at FBSD_1.0 and even in Symbol.map.
The 1.3 symbols have different names, without prepended '_' ?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the __sym_compat()
magic is not needed.

> * Is the light editing of the jemalloc manual page sufficient? Keeping
> the changes minimal will make regular imports less work, but the
> result is less tailored to FreeBSD.

Might be, keep existing but somewhat trimmed malloc(3) page as is, but
add the unedited man from contrib as jemalloc(3), xreferencing it from
malloc(3) ?