Re: [RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 17:27:14 +0300
On 04/06/12 17:13, Attilio Rao wrote:
> Il 05 aprile 2012 19:12, Arnaud Lacombe<lacombar_at_gmail.com>  ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> [Sorry for the delay, I got a bit sidetrack'ed...]

>>> All my scheduler patches are cumulative, so all you need is only the last
>>> mentioned here sched.htt40.patch.
>>>
>> You may want to have a look to the result I collected in the
>> `runs/freebsd-experiments' branch of:
>>
>> https://github.com/lacombar/hackbench/
>>
>> and compare them with vanilla FreeBSD 9.0 and -CURRENT results
>> available in `runs/freebsd'. On the dual package platform, your patch
>> is not a definite win.
>>
>>> But in some cases, especially for multi-socket systems, to let it show its
>>> best, you may want to apply additional patch from avg_at_ to better detect CPU
>>> topology:
>>> https://gitorious.org/~avg/freebsd/avgbsd/commit/6bca4a2e4854ea3fc275946a023db65c483cb9dd
>>>
>> test I conducted specifically for this patch did not showed much improvement...
>
> Can you please clarify on this point?
> The test you did included cases where the topology was detected badly
> against cases where the topology was detected correctly as a patched
> kernel (and you still didn't see a performance improvement), in terms
> of cache line sharing?

At this moment SCHED_ULE does almost nothing in terms of cache line
sharing affinity (though it probably worth some further experiments).
What this patch may improve is opposite case -- reduce cache sharing
pressure for cache-hungry applications. For example, proper cache
topology detection (such as lack of global L3 cache, but shared L2 per
pairs of cores on Core2Quad class CPUs) increases pbzip2 performance
when number of threads is less then number of CPUs (i.e. when there is
place for optimization).

--
Alexander Motin