Re: device_attach(9) and driver initialization

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:15:04 -0600
On Apr 7, 2012, at 3:34 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On 4/7/12 8:15 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

>>> Something like this would also be very useful for drivers that need to
>>> interact across the device tree, if newbus called it only after all
>>> drivers have been attached. Drivers that need to see other potentially
>>> attached drivers now need to do some hacks with SYSINIT. Would it be
>>> possible to do this? I don't think it changes the functionality you need.
>> I am definitely fine with postponing a call further, but I am not sure
>> how to define that point and how to implement your proposal. I am mostly
>> thinking of the case of kld being loaded, since for compiled-in drivers,
>> there is simply no usermode to make the havoc during attach.
>
> no, Geom starts tasting disk devices as as soon as you make the device.

Which is why the typical way to cope with this is to not create the device until you are ready to service requests for it.  The other method is to have a flag that's only set after you actually are ready that the open routine can check and keep people out of the rest of the devsw functions by returning ENXIO or similar error.

Warner