Re: DTrace on FreeBSD

From: Sevan / Venture37 <venture37_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 23:14:07 +0100
On 10/04/2012 02:45, Daichi GOTO wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  From the DTrace tutorial at AsiaBSDCon 2012, it is a CDDL
> license issue.

Hi Daichi,
I wonder which clause/aspect of the license is a problem?
We've been distributing dtrace as part of our source since FreeBSD 7.1
so the terms of license must have been acceptable for inclusion in our
tree & redistribution in source for each release since.
I've been reading the CCDL license just now & clause 3.5 on Distribution
of executable vesions states

You may distribute the Executable form of the Covered Software under the
terms of this License or under the terms of a license of Your choice,
which may contain terms different from this License, provided that You
are in compliance with the terms of this License and that the license
for the Executable form does not attempt to limit or alter the
recipient’s rights in the Source Code form from the rights set forth in
this License. If You distribute the Covered Software in Executable form
under a different license, You must make it absolutely clear that any
terms which differ from this License are offered by You alone, not by
the Initial Developer or Contributor. You hereby agree to indemnify the
Initial Developer and every Contributor for any liability incurred by
the Initial Developer or such Contributor as a result of any such terms
You offer.

This shouldn't pose any legal problems for the project if DTrace was
redistributed in binary form should it?

> Addition from my experiences, some applicaions can not be
> built on DTrace/UserlandDTrace-enabled system (VBox is) and
> Userland dtrace is still unstable.

I see, was the virtual box issue recently, I'm pretty sure I was able to
build virtual box on a DTrace enabled system in the past couple of months.

Sevan