Re: strange ping response times...

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 01:32:11 +0200
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 07:05:00PM -0400, Barney Wolff wrote:
> CPU cache?
> Cx states?
> powerd?

powerd is disabled, and i am going down to C1 at most
	> sysctl -a | grep cx
	hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
	dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/80 C3/104

which shouldn't take so much. Sure, cache matters, but the
fact is, icmp processing on loopback should occur inline.

unless there is a forced descheduling on a select with timeout > 0
which would explain the extra few microseconds (and makes me worry
on how expensive is a scheduling decision...)

cheers
luigi