Re: howto debug a complete hard reset

From: Alexander Best <arundel_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:23:37 +0000
On Sat Apr 14 12, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:36:44PM +0000, Alexander Best wrote:
> >
> > i'm running HEAD on amd64 and experienced some really annoying resets during
> > the last couple of months.
> >
> > when i do 'sysctl -a' or 'sysctl -a|grep bla', my whole system does a hard
> > reset. no core dump gets produced.
> >
> > isn't there a way to find out which sysctl variable is causing the reset?
>
> This is probably a sysctl handler that is causing the reboot.  You can
> run this one-liner to spot the culprit (use sh):
>
>     for i in $(sysctl -Na); do sysctl $i >> ~/sysctl.out; sync; done

thanks a lot. i ran that command and it finished without a hard reset. next
i rebooted my system and ran 'sysctl -a' on the console. the time my system was
resetting i ran it under X. running 'sysctl -a' under the console didn't reset
my system, but triggered a panic.

i've attached the textdump, but also have a complete dump handy, if more or
specific information is needed.

cheers.
alex