Re: Changes to sbin/init/init.c (r233944) makes x11/xdm impossible to start from /etc/ttys

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:53:29 +0200
Am 04/15/12 22:25, schrieb Ed Schouten:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> * O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>, 20120413 19:09:
>> Hope the discussion is going on and will make the problem go away. It is
>> still present and bothering ...
>
> Sorry about taking so long to respond. I've been very busy the last
> week. I just got xdm working on a stock FreeBSD HEAD install just now.
> Is there a way for me to reproduce?

Hello Ed.

xdm works fine for me as long as it doens't get upstarted from
/etc/ttys. This morning, even with a newly "make world", I had the same
problems as before when starting xdm from /etc/ttys.

My lab's box seems to be instable, when having xdm started - it crashes
on heavy i/o. It might be possible that blaming xdm isn't correct, but
the crashes came very quickly when xdm was started (remotely via console
command). But since there is a "integer divide fault" issue with the mos
recent kernels from which my oldish Intel E8500 box at home suffers with
crashaes while booting the most recent kernels while the box in the lab,
a brand new i7 3930K, does not but crashes under heavy i/i, this could
also be a coincidence.

Do you startup xdm via issuinng a command on the console or did you fire
it up via /etc/ttys?

Regards,
Oliver