Re: "/sys/conf/kmod.mk", line 111: Malformed conditional (${MK_CLANG_IS_CC}

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:45:07 +0200
On 2012-04-16 03:03, Chris wrote:
> I recently updated my system from 8.2-STABLE to 9.0-STABLE and I'm
> seeing a similar error when trying to build the VirtualBox kernel
> module:
>
> *** Building 'vboxdrv' module ***
> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk", line 476: MK_CLANG_IS_CC can't be set by a user.
> *** Error code 1
>
> I tried the tips from all the previous posters with no luck. Any
> suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

It looks like this was caused by Maxim Sobolev's workaround here:

   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-ports/2012-April/240000.html

He attempts to set MK_ variables by hand, but that is obviously not
allowed.

As has been said before, it is indeed possible to put a workaround for
compiling with the wrong source directory in bsd.own.mk, but that would
really help people to shoot themselves in the foot.

It looks like the virtualbox-ose-kmod port sets a SRC_BASE variable to
the appropriate source directory, but it should probably also set the
MAKESYSPATH environment variable to ${SRC_BASE}/share/mk before invoking
make.

Note this is still not 100% safe, as you would really need to build
using a toolchain corresponding to your kernel sources, but it's better
than nothing.