Re: Status on X220

From: matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:31:51 -0700
On 04/19/12 17:01, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are so many different news about the X220 here that it is not so clear to me whether an install will result in a usable system.
>
> If everything works fine, there should be one for me tomorrow ready to get FreeBSD. My plan is to start with a plain 9.0 installation and upgrade it then to 10.0 before installing any ports.
>
> All I saw from the list is that 10.0 is the best option to get a usable system.
>
> Is there a better option?
>
> Erich

That's what I've been using. I'm about ready to say goodbye to gentoo
permanently on mine, although it's a work machine so I'm taking my time.
*
*What works:
suspend/resume (must use Xorg KMS to have display on resume), needs
sysctl twiddling for PCI resume/suspend
backlight (via hack for now)
keyboard (needs sed -e 's/IBM0068/LEN0068/g' on acpi_ibm.c, or nicer
patch as circulated in the past)
trackpad (could be better, no scrolling yet...psm doesn't seem to attach
synaptics properly)
ethernet
intel wireless (no rt8192)
graphics (via Konstantin's KMS work! thanks!)
speaker.ko!
Fan control works, but stops displaying fan speed sometimes (see hack
for acpi_ibm.c)
Expresscard
Turbocore
Powerd/Cpufreq
VESA modes for syscons (1024x768 looks fine)
*
*What is unknown (to me):
Card reader
Fingerprint for PAM (works if you already registered it in Windows for boot)
Sound (just haven't tried it probably ok it's HDA Connexant)
DPMS
WWAN

What doesn't work:
Standard consoles after X is started with KMS (this is true for all
intel KMS)
Display after resume (unless you use KMS/Xorg)
Power saving...I'm still using more power than I'd like with KMS loaded
for now
Random miniPCIe cards in second slot...this is BIOS problem I assume
Scrolling with psm and/or xf86-input-synaptics

I'm probably forgetting some stuff that doens't work and some stuff that
does (especially if obvious)

Matt