Re: contrib/jemalloc

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:34:09 -0700
On 4/12/2012 1:19 PM, Jason Evans wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 11:41 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
>>>
>>> * Is it acceptable to check this in directly to trunk without using a
>>> vendor branch?  For the import workflow I have planned, a vendor branch
>>> would just be extra work with no benefit that I can see.
>>
>> I do not think it is acceptable.  Our workflow is to do vendor imports.
>> They are invaluable in tracking down history and changes years after the
>> fact.  They are also very valuable to commercial third-parties that
>> consume FreeBSD into their products (I speak for Juniper Networks in
>> this).
>>
>> Why do you feel they are [measurably] extra work with no benefit?
>
> The workflow I'm using is documented in the patch (contrib/jemalloc/FREEBSD-upgrade).  Can you tell me how to achieve a similarly streamlined import flow with a vendor branch in the mix?  Also, what history would a vendor branch preserve that this workflow does not?  The only upside to vendor branch merges I can think of is that if any jemalloc sources were manually modified between imports, merging would fail rather than silently overwriting the changes.  However, this presumes that changes aren't making it upstream.

I attempted to engage you about this on the svn list and apparently you
ignored my message. David is right, what you're doing is not even close
to our normal work flow. It would actually be easier for you (and those
who may be maintaining this after you're gone) for you to do things the
way that we normally do them.

You can find a thoroughly worked example in
vendor/bind9/dist/FreeBSD-UPGRADE. If you have any questions I'm happy
to help clarify.

Doug