Re: [RFC] Un-staticise the toolchain

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:41:40 +0400
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:35:48PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> I think it is time to stop building the toolchain static. I was told that
> original reasoning for static linking was the fear of loosing the ability
> to recompile if some problem appears with rtld and any required dynamic
> library. Apparently, current dependencies are much more spread, e.g. /bin/sh
> is dynamically linked, and statically linked make does not solve anything.

r76801 | sobomax | 2001-05-18 13:05:56 +0400 (Fri, 18 May 2001) | 6 lines

By default build make(1) as a static binary. It costs only 100k of additional
disk space, buf provides measureable speed increase for make-intensive
operations, such as pkg_version(1), `make world' and so on.

MFC after:	1 week

Have things changed enough that the above is not true anymore?

> Patch below makes the dynamically linked toolchain a default, adding an
> WITHOUT_SHARED_TOOLCHAIN build-time option for real conservators.
>
> I did not looked in details why including bsd.own.mk makes NO_MAN
> non-functional. Please see the diffs for gnu/usr.bin/cc1*/Makefile.

Because you include bsd.own.mk before NO_MAN is defined, and the way
how .if works in make(1).