Re: Upgrade Paths

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:43:16 -0700
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Aric Gregson <aorchid_at_mac.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apologies for this question, but I am not clear on how I can upgrade
> from 9.0-CURRENT (July 2011) to 9.0-RELEASE? Must I use CVS or can I
> use the freebsd-upgrade pathway? freebsd-upgrade is giving me an error,
> so I suspect that either I cannot use it or I must change some setting
> prior to its use.
>
> # freebsd-update -r 9.0-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching public key from update3.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.

As freebsd-update depends on the existence of a system matching a
release, it cannot be used when upgrading from any system that is not
a RELEASE, so you will need to update your sources and follow the
"standard" update procedure in /usr/src/UPDATING. You can update
sources with svn,  CVS or csup. The latter is probably the best choice
if you don't update very often.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com