Re: VirtualBox: Eating up 100% CPU, freezing Windows 7

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 22:45:47 -0700
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Hartmann, O.
> <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> I discover that when running Windows 7 in a VirtualBox On FreeBSD 10
>> (r238968: Wed Aug 1 14:26:40 CEST 2012), VBox is most recent from the
>> ports, that the VirtualBox eats up 100% CPU time and freezes Windows 7
>> for more than a minute. For a minute or so, I can work, then, the freeze
>> occurs again.
>>
>> I can't see this behaviour with a Ubuntu Guest on the same box. Is there
>> Windows 7 specifica to be aware of?
>
> I am seeing the same thing. Also Win7 guest with Windows showing idle
> process at 99%, but my system is showing VB at 100%. The VM is only
> running a single CPU, so FreeBSD is still running OK, but the Win7
> system seems to freeze up periodically.
>
> 9.1-PRERELEASE on amd64 updated yesterday (though it has been this way
> since VB was updated to 4.1.18. Guest additions for 4.1.18
> installed.All ports current. I'm thinking of backing off to 4.1.16.

    I've been seeing consistent hangs with VBox 4.1.18, but mostly
with shared folders and the like under Windows 7 with certain paths
using Cygwin (probably an application issue, but I haven't dug into
why things are that way). I'm not sure what the exact revision is for
9.1-BETA1, but there are a handful of threading and amd64-specific
signal, etc related changes that may or may not affect things.
Thanks!
-Garrett