Re: gptzfsboot problem on HP P410i Smart Array

From: Bjorn Larsson <bjwela_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:28:30 +0200
Hi Andrey,

We are installing freeBSD using ZFS as root filesystem using the GPT
method as described on the freeBSD ZFS wiki. We are creating a GPT
boot partition with the gptzfsboot program embedded and then a zroot
partition with the freeBSD binaries. This works well and boots on
every system we tested except HP P410i smart array systems. The
problem is that no disks are identified in gptzfsboot and the
following error code is displayed:

gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 32
gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 1

It appears that gptzfsboot is not identifying the drives properly.
However, when we insert a printf() command in main() in zfsboot.c to
troubleshoot the identification problem, the system boots perfectly
fine.

This is a problem that I believe was fixed last year in 9-CURRENT by
implementing a proper struct for edd rather than using a char array
for BIOS communication. However, it doesn't seems to have fixed the on
the p410i smart arrays.

Best regards,

Björn Larsson