Re: r239356: does it mean, that synchronous dhcp and dhcplcinet with disabled devd gone?

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:04:33 +0400
Hello, John.
You wrote 21 августа 2012 г., 17:34:31:

JB> Humm.  devd is the more common case, and we explicitly don't use devd to start
JB> dhclient on boot even when devd is enabled (so out of the box dhcp would first
JB> be started by rc, but would be restarted by devd).
  It  is  strange,  and,  maybe, changed some time ago, because when I
disable "devd" on my NanoBSD-based router (about year or year and half
ago), I've spent several hours to understand, why dhclient doesn't
start anymore. And I need to add this to rc.conf:

synchronous_dhclient="YES"

JB> Another option is to rework dhclient to work like it does on OpenBSD where it
JB> renews its lease if the link bounces, but to not exit when the link goes down.
  Yes, it looks like proper solution.

JB> That case would fix the currently broken case that you unplug your cable, take
JB> your laptop over to another network (e.g. take it home if suspend/resume
JB> works), then plug it back in and are still stuck with your old IP.
  Yep. But _committed_ solution is very bad. For example, my ISP's
 switch lost link every second day for second or two. I don't want to
 lost all open connections, firewall state, etc, and to restart
 dhclinet by hands, especially, when I'\m not at home anf my
 girlfriend is. in such case. Another good example was provided by
 Slava -- WiFi could disconnect for 10-15 seconds for multiple
 reasons, and dropping of IP and all connections in such case is MAJOR
 headache.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>