Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:59:58 -0700
On 8/23/2012 7:23 PM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 23 August 2012 22:15, Steve Wills <swills_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Because the how-to may not be for a new system ;)
>>
>> The possibility of bad docs somewhere outside of our control, when we can (and I am actively working on) document(ing) pkgng for the handbook seems kinda thin. It's not even "Something's wrong on the Internet!" (http://xkcd.com/386/), it's "Something might some day be wrong on the Internet!"
>
> It isn't a problem of bad docs. Its a problem of the user following
> some not-for-new-systems documentation and getting very confused when
> they see "command not found.". It is practically the definition of
> POLA.

No, POLA refers to not changing long-established practices out from
under the user.

I tend to agree with Steve here ... we can't be responsible for other
people's poorly written docs. You bring up a valid point that we should
keep in mind for our own however. The bootstrapping issue will be the
smallest possible annoyance on a long road of the migration process.

OTOH this is a good use case for the "prompt the user when they type a
command for something that can be installed from ports" idea. :)

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what