RE: pkgng default release schedule (contd...)

From: Chris Rees <utisoft_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:37:00 +0100
On 24 Aug 2012 11:08, "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jeffreybouquet_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> A few more reasons (unless I have not seen some relevant documentation to
the contrary) to not mandate pkgng as the default...

Why don't you phrase this as "How can one ..." so you sound less negative?

> Nowadays, one can save time by installing two ports which officially or
unofficially conflict, and have /var/db/pkg entries for both, and even
> local workarounds (for instance, moving the duplicate binary elsewhere
before the second install) (Perchance removing the line in the Makefile).

Currently you can still do this, at least until STAGEDIR.

> A failed "make install (register)", one can check the /var/db/pkg/
directory(ies) to double check visually to what extent it did NOT fail.
> Similarly for a failed "make deinstall (unregister)"...

The error messages are perfectly clear.

> pkgdb -F to fixup stale dependencies and resolve dependency information.

Unnecessary with pkgng.

> A proven method in the portmaster manpage to reinstall all ports.

You want to talk to the portmaster author about that.

Chris