Re: One more pkg non-default-please edge-case reasoning...

From: Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
Missing: Three pages of examples (maybe) from "man pkg query"
(or some other workaround...
Use Case: (one of many variants) follows...

pwd == /usr/ports/graphics/exif
[alias for make build-depends-list ]  ... one second
[needs libexif]  # query, is it installed?
lookat /var/db/pkg/libex[tab][tab][tab][tab]   #zsh doing the work
lookat /var/db/pkg/libexif-# , cr  # ... 2nd, 3rd and fourth seconds
[select +REQ...BY in lookat's file selection pane ]  5th second
result:  already installed, required by 15-20 ports already.

I tried to find an equivalent in man pkg-query.  Un-exampled
format string rules, combinations, orders, etc are presented. I
presume that if pkg becomes the default, I'd have to formulate an
alias to match lookat's *immediate* result with the scenario
above (which I use many times weekly...) and hope that it works as
well. [1] Then, there is the case, that if some reason I am locked
into the sh shell, or programming in bash, or something, hours
additionally (probable) to what *may* have been way easier (as
above) is to be reckoned with.
[1] Ignorance, I know, but still...

[Not the only reply to this message, FWIW for those to whom the
other reply was not Cc:'d...]

J. Bouquet