Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:27:41 -0700
On 08/26/2012 12:08, Ian Lepore wrote:
> Would this get better if the bootstrap tool were named pkg and were
> installed on a fresh system at /usr/local/sbin, so that it in effect
> replaces itself with the real thing, and has no need to leave a
> forwarding stub in /usr/sbin ?
>
> Maybe it could rename itself to /usr/local/sbin/pkg-bootstrap as part of
> replacing itself, so that you could re-bootstrap your way out of a
> problem later.

That's certainly creative thinking, but I'm still queasy about 2
commands with the same name that do 2 different things. And having it
rename itself adds to the confusion down the road.

Having a simple pkg bootstrapping tool in the base is a good idea. But
the functionality needs to be extremely limited so that we don't
increase the security exposure; and so that we don't end up in a
situation where a bug fix for something in the base limits our ability
to innovate with pkg in the ports tree.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what