Re: Plugins support in pkgng

From: Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:03:13 +0300
Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> How about the ability to add new commands to "pkg"?
>> For example something like "pkg cutleaves" via plugins would be cool.
>
> I think 'pkg autoremove' already does this.

Does autoremove show you all the leaves and ask which ones you want
removed? I honestly don't know (and can't test at the moment); I
assumed it only removed the ones with "auto" flag on. In any case,
what I actually want is a pkg_cleanup alternative (i.e. cutleaves with
a dialog(1)-like interface).

There are other utilities that could benefit from being a plugin too.
For example "suggest" plugin could use hooks on the build server to
construct a database of "binary name->package" mapping, and add "pkg
suggest" command on the client to query that database (e.g. "pkg
suggest ogg123" would suggest you to install "audio/vorbis-tools",
which is an idea that has been floating around).