Re: Is cross-world building broken?

From: Ian Lepore <freebsd_at_damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 11:16:52 -0700
On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 14:16 -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Ian Lepore <freebsd_at_damnhippie.dyndns.org> wrote:

> >> Sorry I missed the begining of this thread,
> >> is anything broken?

Apparently the only thing that's broken is the original implication in
this mail thread that something is broken, and also the advice that
DESTDIR must not be specified on a make command line for targets other
than installworld, installkernel, or distribute.  (To be fair, the
original was more of a question, but then what followed were replies
that reinforced an implication that something is really wrong.)

I finally got updated with -current this morning and I find that my
cross-build scripts which just blindly always pass DESTDIR=<somepath> on
the make command line regardless of the targets being built still work
fine, like they always have.

> > I haven't experienced anything myself, I assumed because I've been too
> > busy to update any of my -current sandboxes for weeks.  I was just going
> > by the earlier messages in this thread, which were roughly
> >
> >  "A cross-build breaks early in the process if DESTDIR is set"
> >
> > followed by
> >
> >  "DESTDIR must only be set for installworld, buildworld, and distribute
> > targets."
>
> s/buildworld/installkernel/

Oops, indeed; sorry for contributing to the confusion.

-- Ian