Re: [HEADSUP] zfs root pool mounting

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:33:39 -0800
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Please document the process to make this work in UPDATING (or at least
> the fact that this behavior was changed).
>
> I'm debugging moving from 9.1-RC2 to CURRENT [as of Tuesday] as it
> hasn't been as smooth as some of the other upgrades I've done; my
> zpool -- root -- is setup with a non-legacy mountpoint, I noticed that
> the cachefile attribute is now "None", etc. I have limited capability
> with my installed system to debug this because unfortunately there
> aren't a ton of CURRENT based livecds around to run from (I might look
> into one of gjb's livecds later on if I get super stuck, but I'm
> trying to avoid having to do that). gptzfsboot sees the pool with
> lsdev, but it gets stuck at the mountroot prompt trying to find the
> filesystem.
>
> I'll wipe my /boot/kernel directory and try building/installing the
> kernel again, but right now I'm kind of dead in the water on the
> system I'm upgrading :/.

    I thought r236884 requiring a zpool upgrade was the culprit, but
it wasn't. Still stuck at a mountroot prompt (but now I have gjb's
liveCD so I can do something about it).
    Something looks off with zdb -l on CURRENT and STABLE/9. Example
on my 9-stable box:

# uname -a
FreeBSD forza.west.isilon.com 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0
r+2fd0a57: Mon Dec  3 12:02:18 PST 2012
gcooper_at_forza.west.isilon.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FORZA  amd64
# zdb -l sac2
cannot open 'sac2': No such file or directory
# zpool list
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
sac     95G  69.7G  25.3G    73%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
sac2   232G   117G   115G    50%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

    I'm running into the same behavior before and after I upgraded sac/sac2.
    My git branch is a lightly modified version of FreeBSD, but
doesn't contain any ZFS specific changes (I can point you to it if you
like to look at it).
    Would appreciate some pointers on what to do next.
Thanks,
-Garrett