Re: UFS2 and Journaling in 9.1-RC3

From: CeDeROM <cederom_at_tlen.pl>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:52:50 +0100
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> It looks like you are confusing GEOM journalling (-J) and UFS-SU
> journalling (-j). They are very different, and today you probably want
> to use the latter. If you are installing 9.x from scratch, it will be
> enabled by default. If not, you can use newfs -j or tunefs -j to enable it.

Hello Ivan! Thanks for the hint! :-) :-)

When I have created a new filesystem type 2 (UFS2) with -J switch,
then on mount I get this error that filesystem has journaling enabled
but no provider is specified, so it looks like no journal is enabled?

Does newfs -J create journal as well?

According to man newfs:

     -J      Enable journaling on the new file system via gjournal.  See
             gjournal(8) for details.

This is why I have started reading man gjournal and saw an example
where journal is first created before newfs...

Will "gjournal label -f" erase all data on partition with existing newfs/ufs2?

Thanks!! :-)
Tomek