Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features

From: Devin Teske <devin.teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:39:52 -0800
On Dec 7, 2012, at 2:30 PM, CeDeROM wrote:

> Hello Chuck :-)
>
> DD cannot perform non-destructive test.. unless I do dd if=/dev/ada0s2a
> of=/dev/ada0s2a :-) Do you think drives are now smart enough to remap
> badblocks this way? What is the probability that there are no badblocks or
> badblocks are not detected this way?

SpinRite is one way to find/correct bad blocks non-destructively (it will even do its best to resurrect data from bad blocks using intense heuristic analysis).

NOTE: SpinRite is not free (see grc.com)

Also, maybe I should mention my own LiveCD/Rescue disc (which does have the badblocks program you're looking for):

FreeBSD-9.0_Druid-1.0b60.iso
or
FreeBSD-8.3_Druid-1.0b60.iso

(the former for 9.x and the latter for 8.x).