Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features

From: matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 22:44:33 -0800
On 12/07/12 17:20, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> ports/sysutils/smartmontools? Most modern disks support S.M.A.R.T and
> will log read or write errors as well as perform non-destructive
> (though far from comprehensive) testing.
This is the correct way, since the drive could be hiding bad blocks by
reallocating dying sectors.
Look at your pending sector count, this should be 0 on a good disk. If
it does have a value, it should go away when the sector is
moved/reallocated.

Personally, I don't expect much advanced disk diagnosis out of a system
installer (be it Linux, Windows or Freebsd).
Use this (it's freedos): http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/
It can deallocate bad sectors (will require reformat) and show "slow"
sectors as well, in a waterfall-type display.

As far as in the base system, it may be a little late for this, but ZFS
would indicate unreadable blocks via checksum errors after a scrub,
would it not?

Matt