Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:09:07 -0800
On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Ian Lepore
<freebsd_at_damnhippie.dyndns.org> wrote:

> It shouldn't require rc.initdiskless; just the fact that rc.d/var
> detects it can't write to /var should cause it to automatically create a
> memory fileystem for it, and minimally populate it.  As far as I know,
> this is automatic unless you use rc.conf knobs to disable it.

That doesn't solve other things like hostid, rc.conf, ssh/*, etc not
being writable. I've had to use LiveCDs (post 9.0) a few times and the
amount of hoops that I have to go through in order to get a working
system is silly.

Plus, it would be nice if it used an mfsroot, like another PR I filed
said (it sucks having to wait 3 minutes for the USB CD to probe before
I can mountroot over IPMI on Supermicro machines).

Thanks,
-Garrett