Re: kernel module parallel build?

From: Fleuriot Damien <ml_at_my.gd>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:24:21 +0100
On Dec 6, 2012, at 1:28 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Damien Fleuriot <ml_at_my.gd> wrote:

>> All trolling aside, I believe an awesome fix to be setting module override in /etc/make.conf to only build the 4-5 specific modules one needs.
>>
>> To be honest I think this configuration tweak should be advertised a bit more as it definitely speeds up kernel builds.
>>
>> I would be happy to check if this is advertised in the handbook in the "rebuilding kernel" section and enhance its visibility if required.
>>
>> I can provide en_US and fr_FR.
>
> +1. Please write it up if you can; it's much quicker/better than the
> kitchen sink approach if you know what you're doing and don't have to
> build for a large set of platforms.
> Thanks!
> -Garrett

I've had a look at the handbook and the MODULES_OVERRIDE bit is already well written and definitely visible:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

I believe no rewrite is necessary.

However, I fail to see any mention of nextboot.

It might be a good idea to let people know they can boot their new kernel just once to see if it works, and revert to their old kernel if boot should fail.