Re: looking for help from ppp users

From: Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist_at_alogt.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 09:01:52 +0700
Hi,

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:14:10 -0500
Eitan Adler <lists_at_eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 3 December 2012 10:41, Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > While not commenting on the correctness of the current contents,
> > the userland PPP section of the FAQ appears to mostly deal with
> > dialup modems.  I suspect more people use it now to do PPPoA or
> > PPPoE for some form of DSL link and there probably needs to be some
> > effort to address the differences.
>
> I've never used PPP in any sense.  Any chance I could enlist you to
> help write some content?  I could turn it into docbook, edit it, etc.

let me share my experience with ppp and one CDMA 'modem' we have to use
in Indonesia.

First, what makes it work in ppp.conf:

 set device /dev/cuaU0.0
 set ctsrts off
 set login
 set dial
 set authname internet_at_ceria
 set authkey ceria
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns            # set dns servers in resolv.conf
 nat enable yes
 nat deny_incoming yes
 set phone #777

The fun starts with the first start and after each restart of the modem
after the battery went empty. It simply does not work after above's
commands are entered manually one by one.

There is no useful error message except that the modem either sends the
wrong authentication information to the server or something else makes
it drop the connection after this information is sent when doing it via
the script.

If I manually enter these commands, it works from the start. Of course,
this is a problem caused by the modem but mentioning this in the
handbook could help others in this strange situation.

Erich