Re: VirtIO in GENERIC

From: Jim Harris <jimharris_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:06:38 -0700
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_freebsd.org>wrote:

> On 17 December 2012 13:17, Bryan Venteicher <bryanv_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > There's been lots of requests to have VirtIO in GENERIC for i386 and
> > amd64. Anybody have any issues or concerns with this or the patch at
> > [1]. This also removes the kludge that was introduced in r239009.
> >
> > I've compiled LINT for i386 and amd64 so hopefully there won't be any
> > surprise breakages.
> >
> > [1] http://people.freebsd.org/~bryanv/patches/virtio.generic.patch
>

> It would be great to have the drivers enabled. You do not need the
> sys/conf/files changes, the common and arch files are combined.

Removing the virtio files from sys/conf/files ensures these drivers can
only be specified in x86 kernel configuration files.  r239009 added these
lines to sys/conf/files, but Bryan's patch does it more correctly.

The only question I have is the GENERIC changes where "device virtio" is
added - it says it is required, but should this instead say it's required
for any of the other drivers in this section?

-Jim