Re: API explosion (Re: [RFC/RFT] calloutng)

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:04:42 +0000
--------
In message <20121219221518.E1082_at_besplex.bde.org>, Bruce Evans writes:

>> With this format you can specify callouts 68 years into the future
>> with quarter nanosecond resolution, and you can trivially and
>> efficiently compare dur_t's with
>> 	if (d1 < d2)
>
>This would make a better general format than timevals, timespecs and
>of course bintimes :-).

Except that for absolute timescales, we're running out of the 32 bits
integer part.

Bintimes is a necessary superset of the 32.32 which tries to work
around the necessary but missing int96_t or int128_t[1].

Poul-Henning

[1] A good addition to C would be a general multi-word integer type
where you could ask for any int%d_t or uint%d_t you cared for, and
have the compiler DTRT.  In difference from using a multiword-library,
this would still give these types their natural integer behaviour.