Re: Can't umount a formerly mounted drive

From: Derek Tattersall <dlt_at_mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 12:50:31 -0500
* Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_googlemail.com> [120204 06:24]:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 13:50:53 -0500
> Derek Tattersall <dlt_at_mebtel.net> wrote:
>
> > * Ryan Stone <rysto32_at_gmail.com> [120203 13:41]:

> > > Does "mount" list anything as being mounted on /mnt?  If not, are you
> > > sure that /mnt isn't a symlink to somewhere else?  Or maybe the
> > > contents of the home directory were copied to /mnt by accident?
> > mount command on the current system does not list anything under /mnt.
> > ls /mnt on the current system list the top level directories on ada1p7,
> > the stable /home.  It lists them as soon as a user logs in on a newly
> > booted current system.  It's really frustrating.
> >

> Well, it certainly looks like Ryan's suggestion that files from /home were
> copied to /mnt (with nothing mounted on it) is correct.
>
> Try mounting /home to a different location, like /mnt1, and compare the
> dates on the suspicious files.  Wouldn't surprise me to find that they
> differ.
>
> --
> Gary Jennejohn
You and Ryan are absolutely right - the problem was my looking for a
complicated answer.  I can't quite figure how I copied the whole file
system but that's what I did.  Thanks for pointing out my incorrect
direction.
--
Best regards,
Derek Tattersall