Re: Enhancing the user experience with tcsh

From: Stephen McKay <smckay_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:41:30 +1000
On Friday, 10th February 2012, Eitan Adler wrote:

>-alias la       ls -a
>+alias la       ls -aF
> alias lf       ls -FA
>-alias ll       ls -lA
>+alias ll       ls -lAF
>+alias ls       ls -F
>
>Two people didn't like these changes but didn't explain why. This is
>incredibly helpful, especially for a new user.  If you dislike the
>alias change please explain what bothers you about it?

You should never, ever alias over a standard command in a default profile.
It will only train new users incorrectly.  Having to use \ls to get the
real ls is not an answer.  If you think -F should be the default behaviour
of ls, commit it directly to the ls source.  Then run away fast! :-)

As for the other ls aliases, I don't see the point given "lf" already
exists.  My only advice for your overall .cshrc changes is to be minimal
and aim low.  You may have a chance at consensus then.  Good luck!

By the way, one of the nice things about FreeBSD vs Linux is that less
shell configuration is set up by default, so less work is needed to
undo it all before you can get your own settings done.  Every "helpful"
thing that is set in /.cshrc or any other global config file is something
someone somewhere will have to discover and turn off.  Try not to make
it too hard for them.

Stephen.