Re: [ptrace] please review follow fork/exec changes

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:02:10 +0200
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:54:44AM -0800, Dmitry Mikulin wrote:

> On 02/15/2012 09:40 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> >>Not the debugger loop, the kern_wait() loop. The child get re-parented to
> >>the original parent but moves to the orphan list of the debugger process.
> >Either the debugger loop which calls wait4/waitpid, or the kern_wait loop
> >resulting from the debugger calling wait*.
> >
> >Could you, please, describe, how the patched kernel moves the wait'ed
> >zombie to the orphan list of the debugger ?
> >For me, it seems that there is another bug, the child appears both on
> >the childdren list, and on the orphan list of the real parent.
>

> The first attempt to reap the child will get into the
>     if (p->p_oppid && (t = pfind(p->p_oppid)) != NULL) {
> clause, which will re-parent it to the real parent. The child will not be
> destroyed at this point.
>
> The following loop in proc_reparent() will make sure that the child does
> not stay in both lists:
>     LIST_FOREACH(p, &parent->p_orphans, p_orphan) {
>         if (p == child) {
>             LIST_REMOVE(child, p_orphan);
>             break;
>         }
>     }
>
> Since the child parent is gdb and it's still being traced, the following
> will move it to gdb's orphan list:
>
>     if (child->p_flag & P_TRACED)
>         LIST_INSERT_HEAD(&child->p_pptr->p_orphans, child, p_orphan);
No, the child parent at this point is no longer the gdb, it is the original
parent. And since P_TRACED is set, the process is inserted also in the
orphans list of the original parent.

This all happens during the first execution of wait4/waitpid from the
real parent, in the proc_reparent.

> After this the real parent will get the exit status.
>

> The next pass through the kern_wait() loop called from gdb will catch the
> child in its orphan list and will reap it this time for real since
> p->p_oppid will be set to 0 in the previous attempt to reap it. Gdb gets
> the exit code, the child is destroyed.

No, the child has no longer any assotiation with the debugger process,
since the block in the
	if (p->p_oppid && (t = pfind(p->p_oppid)) != NULL) {
statement destroyed it.