Re: [RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:03:20 +0200
On 17.02.2012 18:53, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Alexander Motin<mav_at_freebsd.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This looks great. I think there is value in considering the other
>>> approach further but I would like to do this part first. It would be
>>> nice to also add priority as a greater influence in the load balancing
>>> as well.
>>
>> I haven't got good idea yet about balancing priorities, but I've rewritten
>> balancer itself. As soon as sched_lowest() / sched_highest() are more
>> intelligent now, they allowed to remove topology traversing from the
>> balancer itself. That should fix double-swapping problem, allow to keep some
>> affinity while moving threads and make balancing more fair. I did number of
>> tests running 4, 8, 9 and 16 CPU-bound threads on 8 CPUs. With 4, 8 and 16
>> threads everything is stationary as it should. With 9 threads I see regular
>> and random load move between all 8 CPUs. Measurements on 5 minutes run show
>> deviation of only about 5 seconds. It is the same deviation as I see caused
>> by only scheduling of 16 threads on 8 cores without any balancing needed at
>> all. So I believe this code works as it should.
>>
>> Here is the patch: http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/sched.htt40.patch
>>
>> I plan this to be a final patch of this series (more to come :)) and if
>> there will be no problems or objections, I am going to commit it (except
>> some debugging KTRs) in about ten days. So now it's a good time for reviews
>> and testing. :)
>>
> is there a place where all the patches are available ?

All my scheduler patches are cumulative, so all you need is only the
last mentioned here sched.htt40.patch.

But in some cases, especially for multi-socket systems, to let it show
its best, you may want to apply additional patch from avg_at_ to better
detect CPU topology:
https://gitorious.org/~avg/freebsd/avgbsd/commit/6bca4a2e4854ea3fc275946a023db65c483cb9dd

--
Alexander Motin