Re: Problems with 9.0 PowerPC images from main ftp site

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 06:56:59 +0900
On 02/19/12 04:28, Super Bisquit wrote:
> I decided to try burning an image from Index of
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/powerpc/powerpc/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/
>
> And here are the following errors:
>
> 1.) The usb image doesn't boot. From following Whitehorn and others on
> the FreeBSD PowerPC mailing list, one needs to have the bootloader
> dd'ed to a HFS formatted partition of 1MB.

The USB image includes this. Some Powermacs don't have the ability to
boot from USB, however.

> A README with basic instructions and/or references to forum and
> mailing list posts needs to be available for all non i386/amd64
> systems.
>
> 2) The boot-only and  disc-1 images stop at
> sc0: Unknown<16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>

What hardware were you using? The ISOs work fine on at least the systems
I've tested on. There was a problem with the ATA driver on a few
machines that could supposedly be solved by setting the loader tunable
hint.ata.X.mode to turn off DMA (see
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=164123).
-Nathan