Re: rtld or lang/gcc cannot find libgcc_s.so.1

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:52:08 -0800
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 06:39:36PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Steve Kargl wrote:

> >>Does -rpath not help ?
> >
> >I already mentioned that I can add '-rpath /usr/local/lib/gcc46'
> >to my various projects.  I can also build with -static to avoid
> >rtld.  One can also use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> >The issue seems to be that lang/gcc will be installed after
> >system start, and 'ldconfig -m' appends new shared libraries
> >to the hints file.  This means that libraries with the same
> >name but different locations will be found via the order of the
> >search path in the hints file, and one gets the wrong library.
> >That is, with the following
> >
> >troutmask:root[256] ldconfig -r | grep libgcc_s
> >       29:-lgcc_s.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> >       723:-lgcc_s.1 => /usr/local/lib/gcc46/libgcc_s.so.1
> >
> >29 will be found before 723.  While I can work around the
> >issue, lang/gcc is used by a rather large boatload of ports
> >during the building process and I suspect that a large
> >number of FreeBSD users use lang/gcc for their everyday
> >compiler.  The question is how do we, the FreeBSD project,
> >deal with this issue, so that the general user base does not
> >get hit with it.
> >
> >There are a few solutions:
> >1) Set ldconfig_paths in /etc/rc.conf to cause ${PORTSDIR}/lib to
> >  be scanned before /lib and /usr/lib.
> >2) Use /etc/ld.so.conf to cause ${PORTSDIR}/lib to be scanned
> >  for /lib and /usr/lib.
>
> s/for/before/ ??

yes.  sorry about the typo.

> >3) Add a new option to ldconfig to prepend new libraries to
> >  the hints files and fix the ports to use this option instead
> >  of -m.
>
> You don't want system binaries that want /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> to use /usr/local/lib/gccXX/libgcc_s.so.1, though.  Wouldn't
> your option 3 do that?

Well, yes, I suppose that could be a problem. :)

> >4) Suggestions from people that are brighter than I.
>
> [Not brighter than you, but]
>
>   o For our system libgcc, use libcc_s.so.1 (or some other
>     name) instead of libgcc_s.so.1?

Interesting idea.  Perhaps, the port should install libgcc46_s.so.1,
and binaries installed by lang/gcc updated to use this library.

>   o Change affected ports to use -rpath when building?

I started to look into this option, but it quickly becomes
apparent that some (evil) configure hackery may be needed.

--
Steve