Re: revisiting tunables under Safe Mode menu option

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:46:08 -0500
On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:23:11 am Scott Long wrote:
> I still think that it's useful to be able to disable ACPI.  Just because
ACPI works well on modern hardware doesn't mean that everything crummy from
2000-2007 suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth.  But I agree that
turning it off on modern systems probably does more harm than good.  Hence my
suggestion for a finer control over this in the menu.  Maybe Devin Teske can
lend some help with this task?  For extra credit, it should be possible to
write a simple static analysis tool that collects all of the tunables that are
compiled into the kernel and generates a data file that the boot menu can
process and turn into interactive knobs for the user.

Hmm, with the newer boot menu, can't one now toggle safe mode and ACPI
independently?  (Assuming we haven't removed the ability to disable ACPI from
the menu, if we have we should perhaps put that back).  Having them be
orthogonal knobs would seem to the be the best approach.

--
John Baldwin