Re: revisiting tunables under Safe Mode menu option

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:49:49 +0200
on 29/02/2012 00:18 Kevin Oberman said the following:
> APIC is required for SMP, but works on many older, single CPU systems
> and removes the massive sharing of IRQs common on non-APIC systems.
>
> OTOH, some ThinkPads simply won't boot with APIC. My old T43
> (Pentium-M) had this issue. I had to turn off APIC to get a GENERIC
> kernel to boot. I think that I have heard of other systems that have
> an issue with FreeBSD APIC. (APIC seems to work fine with Windows, so
> it's something about the FreeBSD implementation, but the problem is
> pretty rare, seems limited to 3-5 year old uniprocessor systems, so
> it's probably not worth trying to track down.

I think that it would be useful to track this down.  If it's a bug then it's a
bug and who knows how it can bite in the future.  If you still have the hardware
and can allocate some time to this issue, then it would be great.

Also, when you said "disabled APIC" - did you disable it via BIOS settings or
via the FreeBSD tunable?

BTW, a nitpick - T43 production seems to have started in April 2005, so it's
more like 7 years :)

--
Andriy Gapon