Re: ACPI broke going from 8 to 9

From: Dan Allen <danallen46_at_airwired.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:08:10 -0700
On 31 Dec 2011, at 4:31 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> In the meantime: Dan, when you say in your original mail, "I just
> upgraded my Dell OptiPlex GX270 from RELENG_8 to RELENG_9", can you
> please provide uname -a output from the system when it was running
> RELENG_8?  I'm looking specifically for the exact time when the kernel
> was built

Almost every day I csup from RELENG_x and build.  The traces of RELENG_8 are gone, so no, unfortunately I cannot give you a uname -a from those days.

However, I have a build log file, and I see that I moved from RELENG_8 to RELENG_9 on Friday, Dec 23, 2011.  I csup'd at 12:24:26 MST and discovered the failure at 15:41 MST.

This "nooptions NEW_PCIB" fix does seem rather tenuous if it is not documented.  Wouldn't a better route be something like

  if (ACPI < 2.0)
    oldCode();
  else
    newCodeForNewACPI();

so that it will always work for everyone without having to build a special kernel?  After all, I went from a working system to a hung system which is not the best upgrade path... ;-)

Dan