periodic emails

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 21:29:18 +0000
Hi,

why do we send all these empty headings for periodic emails or given there is
no output to this one can we

1) suppress the empty sections (to me that sounds a bit like a wrong
   return code or something maybe?), and
2) add an option to suppress "empty" periodic emails entirely?

Sample:
-------
Removing stale files from /var/preserve:

Cleaning out old system announcements:

Removing stale files from /var/rwho:

Backup passwd and group files:

Verifying group file syntax:
/etc/group is fine

Security check:
   (output mailed separately)

Checking for denied zone transfers (AXFR and IXFR):

-- End of daily output --
-------

I'd also like to get the hostname out of the headings of the security emails
if possible.  It's in the Subject:.  There's no need to have each section header
starting differently.  I understand that it would be a POLA problem given a lot
of people parse these emails automatically so adding an option for that would be
ok with me as well.

Any takers?

/bz

   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!