Re: periodic emails

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:09:02 -0800
On 01/02/2012 15:01, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> Looking at periodic(8) it says:
>
>      Each script is required to exit with one of the following values:
>
>      0     The script has produced nothing notable in its output.  The
>            <basedir>_show_success variable controls the masking of this out-
>            put.
>
>      1     The script has produced some notable information in its output.
>            The <basedir>_show_info variable controls the masking of this out-
>            put.
>
>      2     The script has produced some warnings due to invalid configuration
>            settings.  The <basedir>_show_badconfig variable controls the mask-
>            ing of this output.
>
>      >2    The script has produced output that must not be masked.
>

> Could it even be that if setting the correct "*_show_*" config option
> could do the right thing for me already?  I have no clue how that "masking" is
> done and in which category "has not produced any output but the heading"
> would fall into and if other things would possibly be hidden as well?

I'm not sure which problem you're trying to solve. Are you trying to
solve the problem of "scripts that are enabled but don't have any output
other than the header should not output anything at all?"  If so, then
yes, then *_show_success="NO" is likely what you're after.

I assumed from your OP that you were trying to solve a different
problem, but it's starting to seem like I read it wrong. Can you clarify?

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra