Re: bsdinstall kbdmap

From: Edwin L. Culp W. <edwinlculp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 11:34:46 -0600
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Edwin L. Culp W. <edwinlculp_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I really appreciate your help but I am having a hard time
>> understanding because this has been working perfectly on FreeBSD 9.0
>> since new. ( 4 months ago )
>>
>> Just incase it is important.
>>
>> # uname -a
>>  FreeBSD home.encontacto.net 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #44: Wed
>> Jan  4 05:03:08 CST 2012
>> root_at_home.encontacto.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENCONTACTO  amd64
>>
>> My rc.conf has
>>
>> keymap="spanish.iso.acc.kbd"
>
> Are you sure this is right? My rc.conf has:
>
> keymap="uk.iso"
>
> ie, no '.kbd' file ending, which is implied.
>

>> I have no /etc/X11 configuration file and haven't ever needed one.
>> The mouse has never had a problem until I reset the server this
>> morning.
>>

> Mouse? I thought you were talking about keyboard!
>
> To get the correct keymap in X from hal, you need to add a policy
> file, exactly as described in the handbook. Possibly you didn't have
> hal enabled in earlier X builds, but if you want it to work with hal,
> you need the policy file.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Thanks Jakub and Tom,

Try to answer both together.  Hope it isn't confusing.  First
s/mouse/keyboard/g

Before rebooting I ran portmaster -a  and updated hald.  I then
rebooted and my problem begain.

Using a standad black terminal  works wonderfully.  It just needs:
keymap="spanish.iso.acc.kbd" in rc.conf  I've tried all the spanish
maps to get the closest to my keyboard so the rc.conf seems correct.
Before the reboot and hald upgrade, all was well.  I haven't ever
touched nor was I aware that a hal policy file existed.  (Going to try
killing hal first.  It has always been a pain in the...... neck.

Sounds like I need to disable hal and restart X and maybe all will be
well again.  Results.  bsd terminal works great but X doesn't
recognize the mouse.  The problem is definitely hal.  I hope it dies
soon.  Going to study hal a bit.  Thanks,

ed
ed