Re: [RFC] fix git detection code in newvers.sh when svn installed

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 11:02:25 -0800
[-stable_at_ removed, as there's no need to cross-post this.  dhw]

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 06:50:33PM +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> When svn installed and the source stored in git, then now the version
> detection failed. The attached patch fixed this situation.

Caveat: I don't use git.

Given that folks will use various combinations of VCSen to maintain
their source trees, rather than hacking/munging newvers.sh whenever
the behavior of a certain subset of VCSen changes, why not change
newvers.sh to source the site-specific code in question?

We (the FreeBSD project) could provide some sample files, but folks
who want to do something different would have an easy way to do
that without hacking newvers.sh.

E.g., the attached.  I would normally make the file being sourced a
symlink to a selected file.  Note: Yes, some of the examples are absurd.
The point is to illustrate the idea.

I've been using this code in head, stable/9, and stable/8 since late
November; I track eack of those daily (both on a build machine and on my
laptop).

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.