anybody close to Bristol, UK, wants to give a talk on FreeBSD and numerical analysis to UG students?

From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 10:51:37 +0000
Introduction:

I'll be teaching computer based modelling to
year 1 mechanical engineering students. The
unit is based around Matlab, which is not
ideal, in my opinion, but is beyond my control.
The unit is pretty low level - I have to start
from loops and conditional statements, but
ultimately I want them to be able to tackle
numerical solution of algebraic and diff. equations
and a bit of graphics.

I want to complement Matlab by several lectures
giving students a broader view of numerical
computing and related subjects. For example,
I'll probably talk about vector
vs raster graphics and related software,
precision of floating point calculations,
intro to latex, importance of standards in
software, etc.

What I'm looking for:

I'd like to have one lecture on FreeBSD and
what it can do for numerical analysis. I'm
looking for somebody who can come to Bristol
on a Tuesday between 31-FEB-2012 and 20-MAR-2012
and give a 50 min lecture from 1400 to 1450
to about 120-150 students. The exact
details of the talk are not that important. Some
of them would've heard of linux, probably not
of FreeBSD. Some of them would've used macs, but
unlikely any software beyound MS office.
The talk can just raise the students' awareness that
numerical analysis tools available via FreeBSD
ports are an alternative to Matlab.

I'll pay the travel expences (have to double check
with the finance office) but cannot pay for the
talk itself.

If you are interested, or have another idea,
please get in touch directly.

Thanks
Anton

--