My thoughts on "bsdconfig"

From: Ron McDowell <rcm_at_fuzzwad.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:31:21 -0600
I've had some time to poke around dialog, bsdinstall, host-config by
Devin Teske, even old sysinstall.  Part of that poking involved a simple
proof-of-concept that can be found at http://fuzzwad.org/bsdconfig/ :

# tar tzvf /tmp/bsdconfig.120115.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel    5631 Jan 14 12:53 usr/sbin/bsdconfig
drwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel       0 Jan 12 12:53
usr/share/examples/bsdconfig/
-rw-r--r--  0 root   wheel    1553 Jan 14 11:56
usr/share/examples/bsdconfig/bsdconfigrc
drwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel       0 Jan 14 12:08 usr/libexec/bsdconfig/
-rwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel    1674 Jan 14 12:17
usr/libexec/bsdconfig/notimplemented

then several items in the bsdconfig menu [install docs, user add, root
passwd, timezone] execute the code from bsdinstall.  This menu was taken
directly from sysinstall and will change somewhat.

I'm leaning towards using this above as a base, and then merging
sections from host-config [with Devin's permission, of course] where it
makes sense, as well as using existing bsdinstall sections where it
makes sense, and adding my own as-yet-unwritten code for the rest.

Also...what are everyone's thoughts on making this program i18n-ready
right from the start?  Lot of work? Not worth the effort?  Must have?
Don't need?

Thanks.

--
Ron McDowell