Re: [RFT] Major snd_hda rewrite

From: Mickaël Maillot <mickael.maillot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:26:08 +0100
2012/1/12 Alexander Motin <mav_at_freebsd.org>

> On 01/12/12 14:18, Yuri Pankov wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:33:17PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
>>
>>> I would like request for testing of my work on further HDA sound driver
>>> improvement.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Patch can be found here:
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~**mav/hda.rewrite.patch<http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/hda.rewrite.patch>
>>>
>>> Patch was generated for 10-CURRENT, but should apply to fresh 9-STABLE
>>> and 8-STABLE branches also.

i switched my htpc to 9-STABLE and applied the patch:

pcm0: <Realtek ALC887 HDA CODEC PCM (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm1: <Realtek ALC887 HDA CODEC PCM (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm2: <Realtek ALC887 HDA CODEC PCM (Rear Digital)> (play) default
pcm3: <NVidia GT21x HDA CODEC PCM (DisplayPort 8ch)> (play)
pcm4: <NVidia GT21x HDA CODEC PCM (DisplayPort 8ch)> (play)
pcm5: <NVidia GT21x HDA CODEC PCM (DisplayPort 8ch)> (play)
pcm6: <NVidia GT21x HDA CODEC PCM (DisplayPort 8ch)> (play)

no regression found, i fully tested my optical output: mp3, ac3, dts no
problem.

>  I'm not getting anything out of pcm0-pcm3 (connected to a TV via HDMI),
>> mplayer just pauses at the beggining, trying to cat anything to
>> /dev/dsp{0-3}.0 gives:
>>
>> pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel
>> dead
>>
>> It was the same with the old driver and I'm not sure if it's (most
>> likely) my misconfiguration or a driver problem.
>>

> It sounds more like a driver problem. HDMI audio is still not very well
> discovered area, and, according to ALSA reading, NVidia HDMI is also not
> very standard. Probably I'll finally have to buy something to experiment.
> What card do you have?

exaclty the same thing for me when i try my pcm3-6
it could be realy nice to have nvidia hdmi support first 2 channels and
next 8 channels.
i have an ION2 platform and i'm open to test everything.