Re: WTF mergemaster VCS Id checking?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:13:27 -0800
On 01/15/2012 23:31, deeptech71_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Apparently, some upstream files have the following VCS Id:
> # $FreeBSD$
> and that anulls version checking.

Your src tree is not checked out properly. This usually happens because
at some point in the subversion 1.6 days you used devel/subversion to
check it out, rather than devel/subversion-freebsd. Fortunately, the new
version of devel/subversion has the option to include the
FreeBSD-specific bits, enabled by default. So, to fix this problem:

1. 'svn diff' your src tree, save any local patches.
2. rm -rf /usr/src
3. Upgrade devel/subversion, make sure that the first 3 options are
enabled.
4. Check out the new src tree, re-apply any local patches
5. Run mergemaster again. Make sure to merge the new $FreeBSD Ids.

> BTW, off-topic:
> 1. mergemaster outputs "CVS Id", while mergemaster's manpage contains
> "VCS Id". One of these is WRONG(TM). Which one?

The 'CVS Id' is a remnant of the pre-svn days. I haven't changed it in
case someone has a script that parses the output.

> 2. mergemaster outputs "Use 'i' to install merged file". TODO: add a "the".

Maybe. It's lasted as long as it has without anyone getting confused.

> 3. The BUGS section of mergemaster's manpage is redundant.

So don't read it. :)

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.