Re: Heads Up: NFS clients can now fail "mount -u -o udp..."

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:44:48 -0800
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> As such, specifying "udp" or "mntudp" options in the /etc/fstab
> entry for "/" on a diskless NFS client could result in the "mount -u"
> failing. I'd suggest that "udp" and "mntudp" be avoided for this
> case, if you are using the default of TCP for the root mnt done
> when the diskless client is booted.

If a user boots with an NFS root mount, and does not specify
UDP or TCP, what is the default transport protocol used?

If I user does: "mount -t nfs ...."  or "mount_nfs ...."
from the command-line, and does not specify UDP or TCP, what is the
default transport protocol used?

I would like to see the default become TCP in both cases.
It would solve a lot of "FreeBSD out of the box" problems when interacting
with more modern NFS servers.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org