Re: no keyboard after booting r235646 in laptop FS Amilo D 7830

From: Erich Dollansky <erich_at_alogreentechnologies.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 14:17:20 +0700
Hi,

On Sunday, July 01, 2012 01:58:49 PM Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Sunday, July 01, 2012 a las 06:29:28AM +0700, Erich Dollansky escribió:
>
> > > and no older versions. I will install the USB booted system to harddisk
> > > and hope when booted from disk and not from USB the keyboard is working.
> > >

> I installed the system r235646 to disk and it shows the same problem: no
> keyboard;

ok.

> > if 7.4 still runs but not anything after 8.0, it is most likely what I have written. Some USB hardware is not supported anymore in 8 and later.
> >
> > I would install the old one just to see  You will also know wat hwardware is used there and how it is supported.
> >
> > This might be the faster route before starting debugging something which is not there.
>
> I said already that it works with a r214444 version, CURRENT from
> October 2010; so I booted this again and concerning keyboard, here is
> the diff:

Of course, I have read it but forgot about it then.

> r214444:
>
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
>
> r235646:
>
> $ fgrep -i kb /tmp/dmesg-r235646.txt
> atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0065
> atkbd: keyboard ID 0x41ab (2)
> sc0: fb0, kbd1, terminal emulator: scteken (teken terminal)
> atkbdc0 failed to probe at port 0x60 on isa0

It must be the probing routine then. My keyboard here is at acpi but not on isa0.

Is all in the kernel which is needed for isa? It should be, but a check could help.

> So the question is: why the <Keyboard controller (i8042)> is not
> detected anymore in r235646, while it is in r214444?

Maybe the hints from man will help you:

Kernel configuration:

     options KBD_RESETDELAY=N
     options KBD_MAXWAIT=N
     options KBDIO_DEBUG=N
     device atkbdc

Are they still there?

/boot/device.hints:

     hint.atkbdc.0.at="isa"
     hint.atkbdc.0.port="0x060"

I do not know if some defaults have changed.

Erich